My First Iced Tea

Saturday, August 2, 2008 ·

I made my first iced tea last evening. I generally drink a lot of bottled iced tea, specially during the summers to keep my body cool and hydrated.

Yesterday when I was back from work, I realized I was out of supply of iced tea and I did not feel like going out again in the heat. So I decided to make my own home-brewed iced tea.

The recipe goes like this. You need a bag of aromatic natural tea like Earl Gray or Lipton Gold. Darjeeling tea leaves would have been best but I do not have the privilege in Copenhagen. The main idea is that the more aromatic the tea is, more refreshing your drink will be.

So put the bag in a cup and pour 1/4th cup of boiling water in it and keep it covered for 5 minutes.

In the meantime, crush a couple of mint leaves in a tall glass in mojitos style and discard the leaves.

Pour the broth in the glass and mix 4 tea spoons of sugar. It will be much less sweeter than the bottled iced tea, but I prefer it that way. You can adjust the amount to your taste, or use sugar substitutes etc etc.

Pour a few cubes of ice and cold water in it and let the whole thing settle for a couple of minutes. Just before drinking, add about 4 drops of lime juice.

I was surprised at how much this drink refreshed me and I have decided to brew my own iced tea every time. For the health conscious, I did a quick search on the health aspects of home-brewed iced tea and here is what I found.

So make your own iced tea, feel refreshed and thank me every time you do so.

0 comments:

Recent Visitors

Number of visits